Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Brighten Your Day with Mediterranean Freshness

It’s been gloomy, misty, cloudy all day here in my part of the world (NE Ohio) and when I wake up and see that, the last word that comes to mind is “motivation.” So, needless to say, days like this I dig deep. Somehow, I managed to drag myself out of bed, feed the furkids, and poured myself a good cup of Fair Trade, organic coffee.
So after spending the morning being just plain old grumpy I decided the day needed a pick-me-up. “There just has to be something to brighten this day up,” I thought to myself. Then I got excited. I got really excited. I realized I had all the components to make my favorite salad. 
So, I got my ingredients together, made my FAVORITE Lebanese Dressing, and added a homemade gluten-free potato pancake to it. Just like that, lunch whisked me away to a small town in the Mediterranean somewhere with people speaking foreign languages and the ocean lapping in the background. Alas, peace in my day.

Lebanese Dressing

4-5 Fresh Garlic Cloves
Small Palm Full of Fresh Mint Leaves
1 Rounded 1/2 tsp of Pink Salt
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 Ice Cubes, depending on size
Using a mortar & pestle, crush the garlic and mint leaves with the salt until a paste forms. Toss paste into the bottom of a jar with a lid, like an old pickle jar. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and ice cubes. The ice cubes are important to emulsify the mixture. Put the lid on the jar and shake vigorously, breaking the ice cubes into small pieces. Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week, depending on how fresh your ingredients are.
Viola!
Remember: Use fresh from the garden, organic ingredients to keep your recipe as clean as possible! Your body will thank you!
Picture Perfect Lunch:

No comments:

Post a Comment